Register to be a Volunteer!
Save the Dates for WordFest 2012, October 09-14, 2012
WordFest needs volunteers for a variety of positions both before and during Festival week October 9-14, 2012. See below for job descriptions, frequently asked questions and online registration. For further information, please contact the WordFest Volunteer Manager at 403-237-9068 or by e-mail.
- Free access to most WordFest events when space is available
- 50% off tickets that are purchased for yourself
- Free volunteer T-shirt
- Complimentary snacks and beverages in the Volunteer Hospitality Suite
- Volunteer wrap party following the Festival
- Opportunity to participate in a world-class literary event
- To represent WordFest in a positive way at all times
- To treat other volunteers, artists, staff, and patrons with respect
- To fulfill tasks and time commitments agreed upon with your crew coordinator
- To refrain from alcohol use while on duty
- To refrain from use or possession of illegal substances on site
The following are the short descriptions of the areas for which we require volunteers for this year’s Festival. Please choose two that most appeal to you when you register.
June – September
Pre-festival volunteer activities include:
Administration volunteers assist in the WordFest office. Opportunities exist for volunteers with all levels of clerical skills. Duties may include: answering phones, computer data entry, updating marketing lists by phone and computer, photocopying and cutting handbills, assembling artist and volunteer information kits. In the 2-3 weeks immediately prior to the Festival volunteers are needed every day to help with reception duties and taking ticket orders.
Volunteers help to spread the word about WordFest at information booths at various festivals and community events such as Lilac Festival and Sun & Salsa. This is a chance to share your enthusiasm for WordFest with others.
Posters, flyers, postcards and Festival schedules are strategically distributed to coffee shops, bookstores and any other places our audience might be looking for them. Access to a vehicle is an asset but not mandatory.
Ushers and set up crew are needed for these events.
Six days in October (October 9-14, 2012)
Every year approximately 200 volunteers help to run this world class literary event. Please choose the team best suited to you.
- Ticket sales
- Answer phones
- Mail outs
Audience Care Front of House Crew
- Take tickets
- Seat audience
- Crowd control
- Help with book signings
Le Festival des mots (la programmation en français). Fluency in French required.
- Tasks same as the Book Rapport Crew; but for French youth events
- Tasks same as the Front of House Crew; but for French adult events
- Transportation and/or assistance for an assigned author
- Box Office aide at evening and Saturday events
- Survey audience after events
- Help set up onsite bookstore
- Sell books
- Tear down
Book Rapport Crew
- Greet buses for school groups
- Seat audience
- Help with book signings
- Assist in regrouping students for return to bus
- Transportation Crew
- artist airport pick-ups and drop offs,
- escorting artists to events outside the downtown
*Transport crew must be over 25 years of age, have a valid class 5 license with a clean driving record and the ability to interact with artists in a friendly, yet respectful and professional manner.
- Production Crew
- help backstage at events with set up and tear down at the Vertigo Theatre
*Some heavy lifting may be required for this position.
- Writer Liaison team
- assists with artist check in at the Artist Hospitality suite
- escorts artists and hosts to various venues throughout the downtown core
- an ability to interact with artists in a friendly professional manner
- Volunteer Hospitality Crew
- helping to serve food and drinks to our volunteers
- welcoming them at check – in
- ensuring volunteer area in tidy and hospitable
- Floater Crew
- assigned to a team as necessary each day
- may be assigned to several different teams in one day
Volunteers for Banff WordFest events are coordinated through The Banff Centre.
February – June
During these months WordFest operates with a skeleton staff who work year round on Festival preparation. The primary volunteer activity during this time is the:
Volunteer Reader program
WordFest receives numerous manuscripts and new works from writers and publishers for consideration for each year’s Festival. Volunteer readers sign out these new books from the WordFest library, preview them at home, then submit a short review with recommendations. This feedback is invaluable to WordFest’s Director and artistic staff for selection of the Festival lineup.
The volunteer reader program is now finished for 2012.
To register as a volunteer reader for 2013 please contact the WordFest office in November 2012.