Congratulations to the Winners of our TumbleWord contest. Thanks to everyone for entering. WordFest will be posting the winning entries on the WordFest Blog over the next week.
Winner – Adult Category
“Fun With Hub” by James Thorne (Image 1)
Winner – Youth Category
“I Let My Fear Go” by Belinda Leyi Y. (Image 1)
Honourable Mentions – Youth Category
“The Parade” by Lola B. and Alison F. (Image 2)
“Roller Coaster Ride” by Katie K. (Image 3)
“Nine Foot Wooden Poles” by Emiline H. (Image 4)
“The Final Fall” by Kate L. (Image 5)
WordFest is seeking submissions for TumbleWord, a writing contest created to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Calgary Stampede. The contest encourages Calgarians to create a brief story based on one of five archival photos from the history of the Calgary Stampede.
The concept is simple: write a story that can fit on a postcard (no more than 250 words) and is based on one of the contest images; entries can be fiction or non-fiction, prose or poetry.
TumbleWord is part of Wild West WordFest, a special literary series celebrating the Calgary Stampede Centennial.
Contest Opens: April 16
Contest Deadline: Contest is now closed.
Rules and Guidelines:
Select one of the 5 contest images and write a story inspired by the image, no more than 250 words. Entries can be fiction or non-fiction, prose or poetry.
Send your entry via email to email@example.com with the subject line: TumbleWord Postcard Contest Entry. All entries must be accompanied by a cover letter with the following details:
Postcard Image Number:
How you found out about the contest:
- The winner agrees that WordFest will have non-exclusive publication rights to publish the winning entry in postcard form for publicity purposes. Any publication of the author’s story will include an authorship credit and a copyright notice in the name of the author.
- The winning submission will be displayed during the Wild West WordFest Launch on June 18 and the author will receive a book prize package. The winning submissions will be displayed during Wild West WordFest, June 18, 19 and 20.
- Contest is open to Canadian citizens and landed immigrants, 18 years or older (Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details on the Youth Postcard Contest)
- Original and not previously published in any format
- Any text, fiction or nonfiction, up to 250 words, English language
- Limit of 3 submissions per person
The Fine Print
- Winning entries: WordFest takes non-exclusive electronic rights to post the text at wordfest.com. All other rights remain with the author.
- All publication rights for non-winning entries are retained by the entrants.
- Entries will not be returned.
This project is sponsored by the Calgary Stampede.